Saturday, October 29, 2011

One Month!

I can hardly believe it! I moved down to TN one month and two days ago. I can't decide whether it feels as if I have been here a few days or a few years. Either way, it is my home for today, and I love it.

This morning, I woke to a stunning, piercingly bright sunrise after two days of wind, rain, cold and gloom. What a beautiful sight! I plan to take some pictures today or tomorrow before heading back to Fargo Tuesday. The colors can take a person's breath away, and I hope not to forget them any time soon.

Things are moving along with the job search. I have been hugely blessed by coming into contact with (for lack of a better term) people who know people. In the music industry, a recommendation carries far more weight than a strong resume from an unconnected person. I am learning, slowly but surely, what I need to change in my approach to this career path to be noticed. Even with resume writing, much of what I need to do is contrary to what I was taught to do as a music educator. I welcome the change. I LOVE the freedom, and I am jumping into the unknown with both feet! (After all, isn't that the ONLY way to jump?)

One of those helping me connect with the right people asked me if I was ready to do this. Ready to go and live this crazy life I see before me. My response? Absolutely. Bring it on. The sooner, the better.

I will conclude with a thought to ponder, as I continue to consider it. God's timing is perfect. He orchestrates all things for the good.* Whether I land a gig tomorrow or a month or two from now is by no mistake. I need only be faithful with the resources I have been given, and I trust that God will bring the right sort of work my way, with the right people at the right time. Although I would like to know what is next and am working toward a goal I may not see completely clearly yet, I am not worried. My God has brought me here, to this point, safe and sound. He has given me no reason not to trust Him with every detail of my future as well.


*I love thinking about life in terms of music. There are so many parallels. In thinking of God orchestrating things for the good of those who love Him, I was reminded of the Shostakovich symphony I am preparing to perform in two weeks. I'll admit Shosty is not my favorite composer to play- or listen to. But he was in no small way a master of his craft. The difficult passages, the dissonance and the often unexpected changes within his masterworks may seem purposeless, confusing and even disagreeable when viewed in certain small sections, yet they all work together to communicate a story. The dissonance leads to resolution, and the resolution carries its significance in direct proportion to the level of dissonance. Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment