Thursday, October 20, 2011

Things I love about the South

So, y’all (hehe) knew, if you have been following this blog, I was feeling homesick for Nashville when I came back to Fargo for the Symphony week. Now that I am back in my new hometown, I am happier than I have been in…well…ever! College and Music Camp are close seconds, but with the confirmations I see every day, this is the winner.


Never in a million years did I ever dream of living in the South, except maybe when I was ten and dreamed of living on a horse farm in Kentucky. I had never even visited anything beyond Arlington, VA, TX and Orlando, FL until this past June. I came on faith. I sensed God leading me to the Nashville area, and He is speaking SO very clearly to my heart that this is indeed where I am supposed to be.


So, for your reading enjoyment, I have compiled a list of things I love about being where I am. Some of these are confirmations for me being here, but most are just things that bring joy to my heart as I notice them around me.


· Southern Hospitality- It is alive and well. And probably better than “Minnesota Nice.” Sorry, MN. Having a complete stranger hold the door to Chick-Fil-A open for you as you cross the parking lot from the other end means major points for the South.

· Rolling hills- Ok. I know these exist elsewhere. But they are in my back yard. And front yard. And they are still mostly green. With hay bales and deer and horses and blue jays. HEAVEN. Don’t get me started on the stars here…

· Best. Neighbors. Ever.- I have met only a few of my neighbors, and they are among the kindest people I have met, period. Everyone seems to look out for one another, and I already feel like I know these people better than I have ever gotten to know my neighbors back in Fargo (where I have spent the past 22 years of my life). I am definitely baking pans of cinnamon rolls for them soon (shout out to Ree Drummond, Cinnamon Roll genius).

· Southern Expressions- The creativity is astounding! I need to keep a list of these as I hear them. Nobody seems to use the same expressions, yet they roll out of their mouths with alarming frequency and everyone considers them normal conversation. I laugh- but only because of they way they make perfect sense!

· Faith- At times, it feels over-marketed here, but I have had more than a few conversations with random people here on faith and Bible-related issues, simply because that is what they are talking about. There are LOTS of opportunities to encourage people and learn from them because faith is a very open topic and way of life for many in this area.

· Architecture- Brick everywhere. Big porches. Landscaping with old trees. Fancy horses in front of large plantation-style dwellings. That, and roads are really fun to drive on. What’s not to love?

· Music- Nashville isn’t called Music City for nothing. I have seen more tour busses than I can count and run into more bands and people who work with musicians than anywhere else (besides music festivals) in my life- and I haven’t been here but a couple of weeks! Music is a viable career option, provided you are smart with your finances, and musicians are very interconnected. It is awesome to tell people the reason I have come and be welcomed with open arms- and understanding.


I am sure everyone will want to come and visit now, right? Keep praying about the next thing, career- and networking-wise, as well as developing meaningful, close friendships.
I am really loving life here right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment