Friday, September 2, 2011

Holiness

First, an update:
I haven't written anything in a while because I have recently had my wisdom teeth out (hastily, while I still had insurance through the school system) and moved out of my apartment and back in with my family for the next 3.5 weeks. Whew! Praise God for an excellent surgeon and a smooth recovery so far! And also, for a family who is willing to have me back, and even help me haul my stuff across town.

So, a few days ago, I was met with a conviction. That of true holiness. You know, that "set apart for the glory of God" kind of holiness.

The world is full of compromises and even commandments that belittle the Word of God. This isn't new to our culture. Jesus addresses it with the pharisees putting their own traditions before the commands of God, even to the point of contradicting them. (see Mark 7:6-13 below)

I had wondered why Jesus chose to speak about teaching regarding the honoring of father and mother and not some other teaching. Later that morning, I got frustrated with my mother because I wanted her to be more decisive about whether we were going to coffee that morning. It was absolutely stupid of me- we go for coffee all the time, and I should have been patient with the other things she was doing that morning, but I chose instead to be selfish, arrogant, and frustrated. I reacted instead of having compassion and faith that we would have time to discuss what needed to be discussed just staying at home. I opened my mouth too wide and felt immense pain because it pulled on the stitches still in from my surgery. I felt it all day as a reminder of having learned my lesson. I need to be more mature than this. I need to deepen my faith that God will provide and that it is never fair to project perfection onto an imperfect human being. God meets us with compassion so that we may meet our brethren with the same compassion. I was quickly convicted, repented and was reconciled to my mother who forgave me for the pain I caused her.

All this got me thinking of what it means to be holy. To choose the better way. To go against feelings and lean on God's Truth. It is so easy to get sucked into a "whatever feels right" mentality, but that so often is contrary to what IS right. Often, when we are reactive, that results from an inability (or choice not) to trust God. He has so many promises for us that He fulfills daily.

This illustration came to mind. Think about two single people. They both lead lives committed to the Lord and hope to one day meet their spouse and be able to give all they are to that person, without baggage and without regret. One of the two, after waiting a long time and seeing others enter into relationships that are not holy-or not of the standard of their conviction, begins to wane on faith that there will ever be a complement to them. This person, instead of pursuing God during this time, allows their view to be broadened, eventually allowing the attention of another to grasp their time and attention. This causes confusion and eventually a blurring of boundaries- not far at all by the world's standards, but definitely not holding to the original conviction in the end. This eventually ends, but leaves some hurt and baggage that would not be there had they remained aware of the warnings. This person begins to believe that standards are possible, but that everyone has baggage, so this person needs to learn how to forgive and accept past sin instead of holding out for one who has continued to pursue holiness. The other single person remains steadfast. At once, these two meet, both seemingly "holy" by the world's standards, but the one's sin (lack of faith) magnified by the other's real, tested and true faith. The sinner has every right to be turned away by the holy person, just as God has every right to turn us away with our sin (or rather, pride and unfaithfulness).

What does God do, however?

He loves us. He heals us. He sacrificed that which was most valuable for us. He shows us another way so we can live, follow, grow and be complete. He desires our holiness, but we can't know that based on man's standards. We know love, holiness because he desires that we know Him.

How grateful I am for a God such as this. May I forever be challenged by His love and the life He gives me so willingly, despite what is deserved!

Mark 7:6-13
6 He replied,
“Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites; as it is written:

“‘These people honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.
7 They worship me in vain;
their teachings are merely human rules.’[b]

8 You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions.”

9 And he continued, “You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe[c] your own traditions! 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and mother,’[d] and, ‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.’[e] 11 But you say that if anyone declares that what might have been used to help their father or mother is Corban (that is, devoted to God)— 12 then you no longer let them do anything for their father or mother. 13 Thus you nullify the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down. And you do many things like that."


No comments:

Post a Comment