Thursday, August 23, 2012

Things Hoped For

Going on 11 months in Tennessee!  Woohoo!

A good friend said, "Plan to give it a year."  Up until a few weeks ago, it has been a season of networking>working, which I was prepared for.  I have had a few opportunities along the way such as weddings, lessons, church services, and symphony gigs. 

And then I prayed (and asked my family to pray too), after a long stretch of having nothing to play for, that I would be given something.  Just one small thing to keep me going.  One opportunity to play & use my gifts.

It's funny.  When you pray- God has way of answering. 
(Except... God is bigger than you, and so are His plans.)

I was asked by a girl I had met a few weeks prior to add strings to her song for a music video.  Perfect!  I prepared well, dressed the part and went to the address she gave me.  When I walked in the door of the house and noticed more than a few prestigious awards displayed in the living room, I realized this might end up being more significant than a simple video post on YouTube.

And then, I recognized nearly everyone there.  These were people from church and some I had met the night before at a small Franklin venue.  Huh.  Now I was working with them.  On a music video, of all things.  Playing viola.  Jamming with a few guys while the artist was having her makeup done.

All went smoothly, and it led to a few more opportunities to play at house shows the next week.  In a very short period of time, I had acquired new friends and several opportunities to play.  So much so after a period of waiting that it became the best kind of overwhelming!

Now, I am looking ahead to a possible recording endeavor that I have hoped for, I have prayed for, and is along the lines of what I have felt called to do (specifically).  The kind of thing that sounds crazy when you leave house, hometown, family, and a stable career- as a violinist.

Granted, this is Nashville, and things never happen at a "normal" rate of speed.  It seems one is either in a perpetual state of waiting or living life in full sprint (and back again).  At the moment, I am ready to jump again into something likely to be uncomfortable, challenging, and uncommon.  I am ready to receive harsh criticism, yet confidently pursue my calling and dream.  My hands are open.  I am willing.  Now to prepare to give my utmost as a musician and servant of Christ!

Hebrews 11:1- Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. 
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment