Thursday, November 10, 2011

Encouragement

Oh, I’m running to Your arms
I’m running to Your arms
The riches of Your love
Will always be enough
Nothing compares to Your embrace
Light of the world forever reign

Above is the chorus to Hillsong's version of "Forever Reign." It is a beautiful song, and you should definitely watch the YouTube video and read the rest of the lyrics at the end of this post.

For those who do not know, I grew up without my father in my life. Yes, he is still walking and talking today, but does not seem to care to forge a relationship with his oldest daughter. I have come to forgive this man in order to have an open door to relationship, but he will not take it...yet.

Because of this man not being there, God has taken a very special place as father in my life. Where my own father was fearful, God was trustworthy and fearless. Where the man was absent, my God was present, indwelling- closer than any person can be or will be. Where I might have been considered a "mistake," God adopted me, calling me to a purpose, and that is where I stand today.

Not only has God given me Himself, but He has provided me with incredible testimonies of what Godly men look like who have taken on parts of the earthly father-role in my 25 years. These men include my older brother, grandfather, men from my church and even a few professors and teaching mentors. Not to mention, I was given an incredible mother, who did her best to serve her family as if she were two people! I have never been lacking what I need, nor am I sure I would know what I may have missed out on in my formative years. In reality, I believe God has always provided me with what would shape me best for the next task.

Yesterday, some hopeful news from a friend turned into less hopeful news, which was probably a hard thing for the family involved. My heart is breaking over the situation because I can see fear and fearful things knocking at the door, tempting to steal the joy, hope and peace that have been so well established among them. I desperately want to help, but have no idea what to do currently besides pray and offer whatever encouragement I can. I suppose this is the point faith enters to inflict some damage on those fears. God is sovereign.

Ok. So what connects these two stories? And what do they have to do with a girl going to Nashville to serve through her music?

Since the second is not my story to tell, I will leave it up to you as the reader to interpret how you wish. This family needs prayer, so if you feel inclined, please pray for healing, strength, hope, faith and wisdom. Thank you.

My objective in writing was to provide encouragement. God tends to move my heart through music and song lyrics, so when I practiced last night with the Calvary Praise Band, this song had me nearly in tears. There are fathers who are well and refuse to be there, and there are fathers who are not well and still give all they are to connect and serve in whatever way they are able. Regardless, God is our Heavenly Father, and will not let us down. His purposes may be beyond our understanding, but we can trust they are good and that He will provide everything we need and more.

Think back to the chorus of the song above. Imagine the greatest, most heartfelt embrace you have experienced. One that makes you feel safe, understood, cared for. That is only a shadow of God's embrace. He is there with open arms. Run.

Forever Reign
You are good, You are good
When there's nothing good in me
You are love, You are love
On display for all to see
You are light, You are light
When the darkness closes in
You are hope, You are hope
You have covered all my sin

You are peace, You are peace
When my fear is crippling
You are true, You are true
Even in my wandering
You are joy, You are joy
You're the reason that I sing
You are life, You are life,
In You death has lost its sting

Oh, I’m running to Your arms,
I’m running to Your arms
The riches of Your love
Will always be enough
Nothing compares to Your embrace
Light of the world forever reign

You are more, You are more
Than my words will ever say
You are Lord, You are Lord
All creation will proclaim
You are here, You are here
In Your presence I'm made whole
You are God, You are God
Of all else I'm letting go

Oh, I’m running to Your arms
I’m running to Your arms
The riches of Your love
Will always be enough
Nothing compares to Your embrace
Light of the world forever reign

My heart will sing
no other Name
Jesus, Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment